Multi-factor authentication

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Sat May 2 02:02:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 19:08, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
>  * Implementation details still unclear though it was generally
>   considered that "yubikey + ssh key" were both "something you have".
>   Meaning it'd be "yubikey + fas password" "Something you have +
>   something you know" as is common with most multifactor authentication
>   mechanisms.
> Questions comments?
>
>        -Mike

In my opinion, a hardware token is much more secure when compared to a
software token.  In either case you would still want to require the
use of some sort of passphrase (fas password) to maintain the
multi-factor which would mitigate the risk of having the token stolen.

I've been doing a bit of research on the Yubikey solution for a DoD
project I'm working on and have been impressed by how it is designed
and how easy it is for a non-geek to understand and use.  Still trying
to figure out my own implementation, however, so I haven't had an
opportunity to use it.

Just my two cents worth.

Eric "Sparks"