How to generate a .template and .jigdo from an iso image?

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazqueznet at gmail.com
Fri May 8 00:02:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 22:00 +0100, Marcelo M. Garcia wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm interested in generating the .jigdo and .template from a .iso image.
> I couldn't find much information on this. It would be a straightforward
> process, just run "jigdo-file file.iso" and I would have my .jigdo and
> my .template.
>
> The problem is doing like this, my .template has almost the same size of
> the .iso image. I noticed that the Fedora 11 x86_64 has only 11.1M. My
> question is how to do that? How to get a .template so small?
>
> Where I can get a good documentation about jigdo-file? The official web
> site[1] it isn't very helpful.
>
> Thanks
>
> Marcelo

From man 1 jigdo-file:

"""
       jigdo-file   COMMAND
        [ --image=cdrom.iso ] [ --jigdo=cdrom.jigdo  ]
       [  --template=cdrom.template  ]  [  --force ] [
       MORE OPTIONS ] [ FILES ... | --files-from=f ]
        Common  COMMANDs:  make-template,  make-image,
       verify

       -i --image=cdrom.iso
              Specify  location of the file containing
              the image. The image is the  large  file
              that you want to distribute.

       -j --jigdo=cdrom.jigdo
              Specify  location of the Jigsaw Download
              description file. The jigdo  file  is  a
              human-readable  file generated by jigdo-
              file, to which you add information about
              all  the servers you are going to upload
              the files to.  jigdo will download  this
              file as the first step of retrieving the
              image.

       -t --template=cdrom.template
              Specify location of the image ‘template’
              file. The template file is a binary file
              generated  by  jigdo-file,  it  contains
              information  on  how  to  reassemble the
              image and also (in compressed form)  all
              the  data  from  the image which was not
              found in any of the parts.

              Depending on the command, each of  these
              three files is used sometimes for input,
              sometimes for output. If the file is  to
              be used for output for a particular com-
              mand and the output file already exists,
              jigdo-file  exits  with an error, unless
              --force is present.

              In most cases, you  will  only  need  to
              specify one out of -i -j -t, because any
              missing filenames will be  deduced  from
              the  one  you  specify.  This is done by
              first stripping any extension  from  the
              supplied name and then appending nothing
              (if  deducing  --image),   ‘.jigdo’   or
              ‘.template’.

       FILES  Names  of files or directories to use as
              input. These are the parts that are con-
              tained  in the image. In case one of the
              names is a directory, the program recur-
              sively  scans the directory and adds all
              files contained in it. While doing this,
              it  follows  symbolic  links, but avoids
              symlink loops.

              If one of the filenames starts with  the
              character ‘-’, you must precede the list
              of files with ‘--’. A value of  ‘-’  has
              no  special  meaning  in  this  list, it
              stands for a file whose name is a single
              hyphen.
"""