SSH vulnerability

Keiran Smith affix at FedoraProject.org
Tue May 19 16:59:47 UTC 2009

Hey Mike,

That is a very interesting find to me personally. System and Software
Security is something I have great interest in. I am a security advisor in a
datacenter in the UK. However the article
http://www.cpni.gov.uk/Docs/Vulnerability_Advisory_SSH.txt says this is a
very severe attack although the possibility of a sucessful attack is Very
low. But you can never be too careful about these things.
Software vendors may be getting more technicologically advanced but so are
exploit coders. For example PHP addslashes() was added to stop SQL Injection
exploits by adding a slash to every  quotation. Attackers realised PHP didnt
parse HEX code but mySQL Server did. This makes me wonder if The posibility
of an attack using this vulnerability is fairly high rather than low.

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> If y'all see an ssh session dropping constantly (like, 11356 times :) let
> me know.
>
> http://www.openssh.com/txt/cbc.adv
>
>        -Mike

Keiran Smith