mobile phone + password = 2 factor auth?

brett lentz wakko666 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 17:20:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Till Maas <opensource at till.name> wrote:
> On Di Mai 26 2009, Seth Vidal wrote:

>> > Here is another attack scenario: The attacker first attacks the desktop
>> > to obtain the password. But then he also compromises the phone once it is
>> > connected to the desktop to synchronize some data, e.g. contacts, music
>> > or software. Then the attacker got both factors without having physical
>> > access on the phone.
>>
>> Both of them assume an attacker targetting someone on our system.
>
> Why is this? Even an attacker that got access to your desktop without
> specifically targetting a Fedora infrastructure team member can afterwards
> compromise your phone, once he noticed that you use it to login to Fedora. The
> browser cache or e-mails may indicate that you login to Fedora and some config
> files for phone synchronization can show the attacker, how the phone can be
> compromised.

Part of security work is analysis of the perceived risk and mitigation
strategies or acceptance of that risk.

I think that using a mobile phone as part of a two-factor auth scheme
is a good idea, despite the inherent risks of the platform. It's a
relatively low cost item that nearly everyone has or can obtain.

While it's not a very secure object on it's own, I think that because
it's only one factor in a two factor scheme, it's still useful and
'good enough' for this purpose. I would be willing to accept the risks
of using this as a part of our auth scheme. My perception of those
risks is that there is a sufficient level of effort required on the
part of the attacker as to make an attack non-trivial and reasonably
time consuming.

---Brett.