Streaming media server for Fedora Talk

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Wed Oct 7 15:59:05 UTC 2009

On 07/10/09 15:36, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> We need to set up an appropriate media streaming server for Fedora
> Talk for streaming conference calls, allowing us to make them more
> open and transparent for Fedora contributors to listen in, for
> recordings to be published to a server for download and/or streaming,
> and so forth.
>
> Clint Savage (herlo) has used icecast in the past at a FUDCon, I
> believe.  Thomas Vander Stichele (thomasvs) works directly on the
> flumotion system.
>
> My cursory reading (and limited understanding) tell me that icecast
> might be easier to set up, and it does support Ogg Vorbis audio
> although its site might be a little out of date.  The way I understand
> it, flumotion is a more robust and future-capable server system, based
> on Python and GStreamer.  Both are worthy free software projects and
> no slight is intended toward either.  I'm primarily concerned that
> those of us working on the FAD for Fedora Talk, our VoIP system, have
> *something* off the ground (or at least well understood) by the time
> of the FAD, October 23-25.
>
> In yesterday's meeting, we discussed and generally agreed that we
> should go for whatever's easiest now, with the understanding that we
> might replace that with an expanded solution in the short to medium
> term.  I'm cc'ing Clint and Thomas to ask for any helpful advice on
> setting up one or the other.  We're not interested in a dogfight of
> products, just choosing what will get us off the ground quickly.  Our
> initial needs are simply to stream and record audio to listeners in an
> Ogg Vorbis format, but in the future we will likely want to stream
> video and/or provide other functionality like live presentations.

Paul,
I do not know anything about the second option you named, however,
Icecast allows multiple streams, which might be useful. Further, almost
anyone's client should play ogg vorbis, as you said, and IceCast is
rather trivial to set up. It also allows for a pre-stream item to be
played, which could incorporate a legal notice, stating that the content
can be freely distributed, etc.

Regards,

Tristan

--