Streaming media server for Fedora Talk

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 17:25:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 09:22:33AM +0200, Stefan Schlesinger wrote:
>>
>> On 07.10.2009, at 19:42, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> >On Ive also had some experience with icecast.  My question is how
>> >do we tie
>> >asterisk into it?
>> Try to google for asterisk and icecast, there seems to be an Ices
>> module since asterisk 1.4.
>>
>> http://www.757.org/~joat/wiki/index.php/Asterisk_and_Icecast_(via_Ices)
>
> I'm still reading the Asterisk book so any opinion I might give is
> going to be woefully uninformed.  It sounds like Icecast may be the
> easiest short-term solution, especially since it was difficult to find
> anything via Google on Flumotion integration.

I will happily set up and configure an Icecast server.  They are
incredibly easy to configure, work quite well and can handle a lot of
connectons for audio.  Video is available, but the bandwidth demand is
a bit higher.

Icecast can also deliver previously recorded data with mount points
and thus is a really good solution for streaming.  It supports both
ogg vorbis and ogg theora.  I haven't done much with fluendo, so I
can't say how features compare.

It might be a good idea to pre-setup both Icecast and Fluendo on a
test server (each) and then get the Asterisk data to start sending to
both.

Cheers,

Clint