Suitability of Python for daemon processes

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Oct 26 19:34:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 06:46:05PM -0400, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> Seeing as it is a mirroring daemon, the network is the bottleneck. If it isn't
> then either you're sitting next door, our implementation is bad, or the
> hardware shouldn't be a mirror in the first place.

Speaking from experience, the network isn't always the bottleneck.
I/O performance is often a performance problem, especially when
walking the directory tree to build filelists.  CPU performance can
come into play if you are performing hashes or compression of the data
to be transferred.  I suggest you post your message to the Fedora
mirror-list-d where I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback.