outgoing port block on fedorapeople.org

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Aug 3 10:04:24 UTC 2010

seth vidal wrote:
> Hi,
>  Mike noticed that someone had setup an irc bot running on
> fedorapeople.org talking to an irc channel that was not remotely fedora
> related. Even if it had been fedora-related it's still not something we
> want running fedorapeople.org. I put in an outgoing port reject to
> things bound to 6667. I'll work on a slightly better option soon but I
> wanted to let everyone know about this and ask if there were any other
> suggestions on how to best block this sort of thing.

Is any outbound NEW connection supposed to be used from fedorapeople.org
accept maybe for a few named sockets on trusted remote hosts?

If not, I suppose you could lock it down for most of the 65535-give-or-take
ports, with few exceptions for like the Puppet master (but only from/by user
root) and the DNS servers and such and so forth?

Locking it down still sounds fair enough to me, to say the least.

-- Jeroen