RFR sponsor for Upstream Release Monitoring wanted

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Dec 1 19:47:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 08:55:04AM +0100, giallu at gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Till Maas <opensource at till.name> wrote:
> > I would like to ask if someone would sponsor me to host Upstream Release
> > Monitoring[0] on a Infrastructure machine.

> Is there a proper place to discuss some detail?

It is fine by me to discuss it in this thread, via private mail or on
the Talk page of the wiki.

> Specifically, I find the Debian way, that is, adding a file to each
> package VCS to record where upstream releases are to be found [1], to
> be a very effective idea.

IMHO using the wiki is currently not a problem. Once all or nearly all
Fedora packages use it, it might be useful to move this to the VCS or
maybe PackageDB. But currently it is working fine and the wiki makes it
easier to add e.g. several packages at once. A problem with the VCS is
that it is not as easy as using the wiki to access the information,
because afaik currently all git repos would need to be downloaded
completely. Therefore I guess a PackageDB approach with an easy query to
get the list of regexes and urls would be better.

Regards
Till