[SPAM] RFC: SpamAssassin subject munging considered harmful :)

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Tue Feb 2 17:27:22 UTC 2010

On 02/02/10 16:22, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> On 2010-02-02 03:02:18 PM, Tristan Santore wrote:
>
>> I like the spam headers, and have yet to see a single message marked as spam,
>> which originated from a user. And I am on multiple lists.
>> Also, without the headers of the message, it is hard to say what is causing
>> said scoring. It could be the users end or maybe even their fault, i.e. using a
>> SMTP they should not. As it happened to one of my clients. Also, just because
>> it is marked [spam], does not mean it gets removed, and I believe most people
>> can use common sense in that regard.
>>
> Todd attached the message and full headers, and in this case, it seems
> that the presence of a domain name with ".com" in the middle caused a
> huge spam score, which definitely seems unreasonable.
>
> I agree with Todd that the spam headers suffice without having to munge
> the subject.
>
> Thanks,
> Ricky

If the score originates from com2com scoring, then the filter needs
fixing, as it did not look for \.com but anything com. This looks more
like a bug that needs to be submitted to the relevant developers.

Regards,

Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefor no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org