[RFR] Infrastructure sponsor needed for Fedora Distribution App.

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Feb 23 19:44:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, susmit shannigrahi wrote:

> Let me be clear first.
>
> I am not much concerned about what admins do. I am more concerned
> about how easy we make it for the "customer" when he requests media.

> >> It is database driven. So entering data and presenting them don't need
> >> wiki edits.
> >>

> > scripts.

> >> Currently, we don't or can't do that because it is so much manual work.
> > Scripts.
>
> What is the difference between writing a script and maintaining that
> and writing an simple app and maintaining that?

Tons, in particular the number of libraries it depends on and the security
of exposing it to the net.

> >> We have to disable/enable each form using puppet. We have to do it each month.
> >> it will not be possible.
> >>

> > Of course it would be.  You write a script to generate your pages, change
> > a 1 to a 0.
>
> But I don't have time, not energy to login to puppet every time
> someone tells me to do the changes. So will puppet access be given to
> current freemedia admins so that they can run the scripts?

So why not have puppet pull from an external resource like the wiki?  We
do this in Fedora regularly.

> >> And how do we present the data to the requesters?
> >
> > how do you do it now?
>
> Wiki. And requesters have to go through the long list of hundreds of
> links. That is not the ideal way, is it?

I'd assume each vendor has a link, will the webapp be getting rid of
vendors?  If not then they still have to go through a long list, if it's a
search thing, why not break out the vendors?

> I saw some thread that we were worried about actually losing our
> users. One of the reasons for that low offline availability. It is not
> that Fedora is not available offline. It is. But the information is
> presented so clumsily that nobody uses that option.

So reorganize the information.  Perhaps it would help if you could clearly
outline the problems and solutions you're trying to solve.

	-Mike