yslow website stats

Darren VanBuren onekopaka at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 18:42:35 UTC 2010

The "Use a CDN" doesn't at all apply to our case. With the plentiful
spread of proxy boxes, (which serve static content) we're a small-
scale CDN by ourselves.

On the matter of Expires, here's what would need to be added to an
Apache config, assuming static stuff is in /srv/web/static:

<Directory /srv/web/static>
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 1 month"
</Directory>

Of course we can tweak the times, I just made up 1 month.

As for compression, yes it will increase load, but it will save users'
bandwidth and will increase speeds on slow connections (56K, EDGE,
EVDO). The compressed versions can be cached on disk as well so the
load of compression doesn't matter on read-only traffic.

Moving JavaScript to the bottom of a page is also a low-hanging fruit.
The thought is that presentation can be achieved, so users see the
page even though the JavaScript isn't loaded.

Darren VanBuren
http://theoks.net/

Sent from my iPod