yslow website stats

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 18:59:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Matt Domsch wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:07:53AM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Bert Desmet wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > mmcgrath asked me to collect some statistics about the fedora website.
> > > He asked me to use yahoo's yslow.
> > > You can find the results here: http://bdesmet.be/upload/finished.pdf
> > > yahoo's page with extra information on every test:
> > > http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html
> > >

> > Thanks bert.  I'm wondering how much of these we can do something about
> > (the low hanging fruit)
>
> The "Use a CDN" messages all disappear with a config file setting
> stating that fp.o _is_ a CDN.
>
> Setting up better expiry times on /static/ and /web/static/ should be
> low-hanging fruit.
>
> Adding compression should be low-hanging fruit, but will increase the
> CPU needed on the app/proxy servers.

I've wondered about this, we should get some metrics.  I've tested
compression between the browser and the proxy servers and the good news is
the proxy servers didn't seem to notice.  The question I'd have is if
compression between app servers and the proxy servers would help.

> CSS at top, and javascript at the bottom, I can't say, having not
> looked at the pages in question.  May be easy.

Is this just bad practice or does it actually cause some issue?

	-Mike