Log management

Maxim Burgerhout maxim at wzzrd.com
Tue Jan 12 15:04:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 15:29, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> octopussy is mostly perl and xml it looks like.  My main concern with it
> is that it seems to have only one contributor.  Might be worth setting up
> to look at though I'm not so sure we need real-time analysis.

Ok, if the real-time analysis is not a hard requirement, octopussy
becomes a lot less attractive. Doing things real-time is one of it's
key features.

> Personally I'd like to get general metrics from the logs and list errors /
> warnings that we would care about.  The problem is we never really know
> the format of some errors we get.  We had recently gotten some memory
> errors from fedorahosted and no one noticed it until we happened to log in
> and see it.

Either of the other two options (lire and epylog) can do this, as
every log line that doesn't match any specific rule gets printed in
the daily report. I think this gives epylog the better papers, because
it is already in Fedora. We might need to write some custom modules
for it for it, but as it's just Python, I recon that'll be relatively
easy. We can start off with the built-in modules and then create
custom ones as time goes by and the need arises.

Is building a central logserver an option at all, btw?

We could also use the 'swatch' program Ray mentioned or something like
it to receive alerts and then epylog / lire / something else to
generate the daily reports.

Maxim