host-lifecycle-policy

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Jan 18 22:57:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Luke Macken wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 03:15:20PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > It dawns on me I never actually sent this to the list for comments and we
> > haven't officially adopted it yet.
> >
> > http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/csi/host-lifecycle-policy/en-US/html-single/
> >
> > It's still in flux but give it a read over.  For some stuff it seems like
> > it adds more work (like post kickstart checklist) but really it just lists
> > what needs to be done as part of bringing a host online.  Backups and
> > monitoring are things that often get forgotten about.
>
> It looks good after quick glance.  I didn't know about
> needs-restarting.py, awesome.  I'm going to print out all of the CSI
> this week and start reviewing.
>
> It also sounds like it could be nice to have all of the Package
> Integrity & Security Update Checks running on regular intervals by
> Zabbix? (eg: letting us know when security updates are available, when
> services need to be restarted, etc).

Yeah, we don't have all of that stuff implemented yet but some of it is.
I've been goign back and forth between having zabbix do it or having cron
do it.  The main reason I've been leaning towards cron is because it
doesn't produce output on success, and can take a long time to run (I
worry about zabbix timeouts)

	-Mike