dev.fedoraproject.org

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sun Jul 18 16:54:04 UTC 2010

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Xavier Lamien wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> > So it is probably time to have a dev.fedoraproject.org.  Why?  Well,
> > toshio had mentioned having others do some of the 'sysadminy' tasks so
> > developers can focus on development.
> >
> > Also Luke had an analogous request wrt community and staging but before I
> > go setting things up some topics for discussion:
> >
> > 1) Security staging and production are identical.  Since production data
> > regularly gets migrated to staging people that have access to one, might
> > as well have access to the other.  Generally our staging environment is
> > mostly used for integration work, some load work as well.
> >
> > 2) Should we run development from rpms that get edited (like live patches)
> > or should we run them from scm(ish) checkouts.  I generally vote for the
> > latter as it feels more useful in a development lifecycle.  But we should
>
> +1 for scm chekouts
> also save time that way.
>
> > come up with a quick standard for how to store this stuff.  something like
> > /srv/dev/
>
> yeah, fine for me.
>

> > 3) I don't want this to be all fancy.  All of our apps run in their own
> > namespaces so we should be able to get by with one or two app dev servers
> > and we should be able to use them without a reverse proxy.
> >
> > Questions comments?  It'd be nice to just throw them all together on a
> > couple of hosts in their own namespace.  It'll help find issues with them
> > playing together.
>
> Well we could use them with something like "dev.fp.o/myapp" "dev.fp.o/myapp2"
> Just like we're doing for admin.fp.o
>
> Also have a subdomain dev is great. Maybe a home page would be good as well,
> just my two cents.

My only concern there is with having multiple dev app servers.  We won't
have a reverse proxy for them so I was thinking something more like:

http://app01.dev.fedoraproject.org/ and
http://app02.dev.fedoraproject.org/.  It lets people know it's a dev box
but also allows say, luke to be doing really crazy drastic stuff on app1
and toshio to do really crazy drastic stuff on app2 without having to
worry about stepping on eachothers toes.  I guess I'm hoping for a fairly
dynamic workflow on the dev servers.

	-Mike