docs.fp.o Search [Was: Re: CMS]

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 17:25:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:44 AM, brett lentz <wakko666 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Including Infrastructure team gurus on this email thread for
>> additional expert advice and assistance. :-) Setting reply-to docs@
>> list.
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 05:55:05AM -0400, Eric Sparks Christensen wrote:
>>> On 06/05/2010 03:14 AM, Ruediger Landmann wrote:

> I'm not aware of any specific time frame defined by the RFCs or other
> standards. Each site has a different policy for redirect maintenance.
> There are 3 basic options:
>
> 1. Watch the access logs for a majority of the access requests to use
> the new URL. When the pre-determined threshold is met, remove the
> redirect and accept that some users who still haven't updated their
> links will receive a 404 (Object Not Found).
>
> 2. Set a date-based transition period. After the specified date,
> either remove the redirect, or apply the logic #1 and bump out the cut
> off date accordingly.
>
> 3. Keep the redirect indefinitely, or until the maintenance costs are
> too cumbersome. Many organizations use this one, for better or worse.

Number 3 is usually what I have dealt with and it becomes cumbersome
way too soon for a volunteer group. I would go with a #2. Basically go
with a D-day rated to a release. Since most of these changes occured
at release time, we will do redirects until say F14 is released or F11
goes EOL.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.