TG2 and RHEL-6

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Jun 8 19:13:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> So one of the things moving from EPEL to RHEL in EL-6 is the TurboGears 2
> stack.  We recently had TG-2.1 pushed into EPEL-5 testing.  this is newer than
> what is in EL-6.  TG-2.1 broke  a couple of things in Moksha(community)
> because its using internal api's that changed, the public api is stable.  but
> it brings up the maintenance burden for when we start migrating to EL-6 on app
> servers. Moksha would ethier need to work with 2.0 and 2.1?  not sure if its
> doable.  or the version for EL-6 will need to use the old api.  or something
> else ive not mentioned/thought of.

FWIW, when I tested 2.1 with virt_web (it was written against 2.0) so I
suspect the changes are small.

> another option is replace the TG stack.  which then means for the life of us
> using EL-6 we will need to maintain the TG stack in the infra repo and any
> packages we use on top of it.  it also means we cant put TG apps into EPEL-6
> since they wont work.
>
> alternatively we could use some fedora app servers where we can put everything
> into fedora. maintain an updated stack in fedora,  but have the additional
> cost of greater maintenance needed for the fedora based servers.
>
> I don't have the answer but we need to start the discussion now so that we
> have a plan and dont get blindsided by this.

Also right now we only have one tg2 app/stack deployed in community.  It
exists fine with the 1.x tree.  Luke's already got a working moksha with
2.1 so I think keeping our apps in line will be pretty easy, the bigger
question is what will ship with RHEL.  if they do ship 2.0, will EPEL
allow a 2.1 fork or will we have to run our own?  Will it not matter?  I
think I have more questions then answers on that but yeah thanks for
getting the conversation started.

	-Mike