TG2 and RHEL-6

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 18:44:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 01:54:13PM -0400, Luke Macken wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 12:22 -0400, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Just judging by the way the infrastructure repo has grown over the course of
> > RHEL5, I think that it's inevitable that we eventually roll our own version
> > of tings that we are developing against.  However, for the sake of reducing
> > the maintainance burden we carry, I think it would be great if we could
> > defer this for as long as possible.
> >
> > In TG2 vs TG2.1's case, most of the improvements seem to be speed.  If we
> > aren't having problems keeping up with the number of requests, perhaps we
> > want to wait to switch to TG-2.1 on the app servers.  Luke, does that sound
> > right for now?
>
> Speed, and a lot of bugfixes.
>
>     http://trac.turbogears.org/wiki/2.0/ChangeLog

Since there's a lot of bugfixes, it seems likely that we'll just have to
suck it up and maintain our own copy in the infrastructure repo

> Also, TG2.1, which is in EL-5 testing, is already on our app servers as
> of yesterday.  If we need to pull 2.1 out of EL-5, we'll want to
> downgrade.

Yeah -- EPEL is somewhat of a separate issue but we (EPEL) may not want to
have EPEL-5 at a higher evr than RHEL-6 when we can help it.  I don't know
that there's actually a policy on this, though.  I'll ask around on #epel.

-Toshio