Mail forwarding issues and SPF

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jun 14 20:57:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 14:25:42 -0600,
  Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> Red Hat IT forwarded an issue to me today about a recipient of
> @fedoraproject.org having an issue with addresses from @redhat.com.
> The issue is that in forwarding email addresses we aren't rewriting
> headers so it looks like we are sending redhat.com addresses from a
> non Red Hat server. The suggested fix is to have procmail rewrite the
> envelope for these to say soemthing like From
> noreply at fedoraproject.org so that SPF and similar filters can work.

That will break other things. SPF and forwarding don't go well together.
If you really need to do it, there is supposed to a standard for rewriting
the envelope sender address that could be used to forward bounces back
to redhat.com via fedoraproject.org.
The recipient could also relax the checks on their end and accept email
from fedoraproject.org servers.