discussions on statistics in fedora: new list, or use this one?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 14:34:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:03:26AM -0400, Ian Weller wrote:
> (regarding https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/2223)
>
> I was going to create a new list for statistics discussions within
> Fedora -- datanommer development, requests for numbers from
> applications, and general talk about what data should/could be
> collected.
>
> The list topic seems to fall under the general topic of the
> infrastructure list, so it was suggested that I just have that
> discussion on this list. However, I talked with a few people that were
> interested in Fedora's statistics projects and they were more keen on
> joining a list just for stats discussions.
>
> I don't particularly care one way or another, so I'd like to know if you
> all are OK with having these sorts of discussions on this list. I'm not
> sure how much noise to anticipate.

I'm okay with discussion happening here.  Here's a pro and a con to a new
list though:

If you're going to try to get other, non-Fedora, projects using this, having
a new mailing list might be a better fit.  People from other projects might
not be especially keen to get the fedora-infra list discussion just to work
on datanommer.

The worry I have when a project that Fedora is relying on heavily gets its
own mailing list is that the communication between the project and Fedora
Admins tends to degrade.  Schedules for deployment, resources to host the
service, people to maintain applications, etc all seem to get talked about
on the other list and the infrastructure group gets pulled in at the last
minute when we have to resolve conflicts, try to fix code unfamiliar to us,
or simply say no.

-Toshio