Possibility of Fedora sponsoring a Freenode server

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Mar 17 21:54:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 03:39:10PM -0500, Nick Bebout wrote:
> I think it would be a good idea, especially since we use them so much for
> our IRC channels, it'd be nice to contribute a server back to the network.

thanks Nick for looking into this again.  Indeed, part of the reason I
want to help is that so much of Fedora's personal interaction, and
Infra critical communication, happens on FreeNode.  I don't know that
providing an IRC server is the best way to help them out, but it seems
like it could help.

I agree the DDOSs and spamfloods have been a problem.  There's no way
to avoid such malicious DDOSs except "not to play" - not running a
service at all.  But that's kind of self-defeating too.  And I don't
like having our communication channels be dependent on a third party
that we have no real influence with.

I hadn't realized OSUOSL already had a node.  That definitely would
reduce my interest in hosting one there.

Given that our hosting is really via others (Red Hat, Telia, ...),
maybe it's more appropriate to suggest that _they_ establish a
relationship with FreeNode directly and host a node, rather than us
doing it.  We could help broker relationships if they don't already
exist, and point out how FreeNode benefits us, so they see an addition
to FreeNode as a continuation of their support of Fedora.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO