cron.daily jobs needed?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue May 18 03:29:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010, Matt Domsch wrote:
>
>> Now that I've knocked out a few MM bugs, other interesting trends are
>> emerging.
>>
>> Why are the app* servers running all these in cron.daily?  The
>> combination of these take approximately 2 hours, and show up very
>> noticibly on the collectd graphs.  I'm not sure which ones are the
>> most IO-intensive for that duration - I haven't caught it during the
>> run to watch.
>>
>> logrotate - arguably necessary, unless this is done centrally instead?
>>
>> makewhatis.cron - we don't have many manpages on the app servers, and
>> don't change them that often.  Daily?  Really?

Well if we were running fedora and running updates daily might not be
fast enough :).

>> prelink - we don't start apps that often - they're mostly
>> long-running.

If I understand prelink correctly, it really only needs to be run
after an RPM update. We could move this to a monthly cron or a check
that if rpm -V shows prelink problems it is run.

>> rkhunter - arguably necessary
>>
>> rpm - again, daily?  Unclear what this serves us.  It's just a file
>> listing all the RPMs installed at that moment in time.
>>
>> tetex.cron - looks like it'd go fast, so no big deal.  But why do we
>> have tetex-fonts installed on the app servers?

I think they get pulled in from some dependency chain. Ah yes.. mediawiki

Removing:
 tetex-fonts                                      i386
        3.0-33.8.el5                                     installed
                   57 M
Removing for dependencies:
 mediawiki                                        i386
        1.14.1-1.el5                                     installed
                  401 k
 mediawiki-Boilerplate                            noarch
        0.0.3-1.el5                                      installed
                  1.1 k
 mediawiki-Cite                                   noarch
        0-0.3.20080901svn.el5                            installed
                  294 k
 mediawiki-Click                                  noarch
        0-0.1.20080607svn.fi                             installed
                  4.8 k
 mediawiki-ConfirmEdit                            noarch
        45409-1.el5                                      installed
                  425 k
 mediawiki-HNP                                    noarch
        1.1.2-1.el5                                      installed
                   33 k
 mediawiki-Lockdown                               noarch
        0-0.1.20081221svn                                installed
                  9.7 k
 mediawiki-ParserFunctions                        noarch
        1.1.1-4.svn45003.el5                             installed
                  160 k
 mediawiki-SpecialInterwiki                       noarch
        0-0.4.svn49252.el5                               installed
                  221 k
 mediawiki-StubManager                            noarch
        1.3.0-1.el5                                      installed
                   36 k
 mediawiki-WatchSubpages                          noarch
        1.0-1.20080521svn35078.el5                       installed
                   39 k
 mediawiki-math                                   i386
        1.14.1-1.el5                                     installed
                  1.2 M
 tetex                                            i386
        3.0-33.8.el5                                     installed
                   63 M
 tetex-dvips                                      i386
        3.0-33.8.el5                                     installed
                  2.0 M
 tetex-latex                                      i386
        3.0-33.8.el5                                     installed
                   24 M

Transaction Summary
Remove       16 Package(s)
Reinstall     0 Package(s)
Downgrade     0 Package(s)

>> tmpwatch - good to have
>>
>> Something to consider revising after the freeze?
>>

> I agree with all of the above assessments.
>
>        -Mike

Stephen J Smoogen.