fpo allowed programming\coding?

Ricky Elrod codeblock at elrod.me
Tue Nov 9 20:47:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 07:49,  <Matt_Domsch at dell.com> wrote:
> >> What languages are allowed on fp.o
> >> Not the wiki, the main html pages?
> >
> > FI typically uses python.  I don't think there's an explicit "allowed" or
> "disallowed" list, more choose a language that enough people in FI are
> comfortable with that if you get hit by a bus, someone else could step into
> your role.  That means PHP is "out" for most of us.
>

> PHP is growing inside our infrastructure, however I would like to keep
> it to an easily audit-able amount. Mainly I would prefer that we
> standardize on our frameworks so that it is either Drupal and
> Mediawiki. The same on the Python side.. keeping the frameworks to an
> amount that we know what we have and how they 'interact' with each
> other.
>

> --
> Stephen J Smoogen.
> "The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance."
> Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.
> "Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard
> battle." -- Ian MacLaren

As far as any custom stuff we do - since we like Python, I'll throw
another shout out for Django. I am pretty much in love with Django :)

PHP can get annoying because security isn't the default (as people like
mmcgrath have pointed out to me several times :) -- though things like
Facebook's XHP (https://github.com/facebook/xhp) are helping to change
that.