RFC: Backup upgrade

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 22:14:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 14:37, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 14:28 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> Currently we are using Bacula 2.4.4 for our backups. With the upcoming
>> upgrades to RHEL-6 the main backup software will be bacula-5.0.0. I
>> have 'gleaned' that the upgrade from 2.x to 5.x is not simple which
>> means we are going to need to do a project on how this will be done.
>>
>> I am looking for people who have done project management in the past
>> to help out on this.. mainly it would be to help step through people
>> who may not have large scale project experience on what things usually
>> need to be done: scoping, staffing, dropback points, documentation,
>> etc.
>>

> Are there forward/backward compat issues with clients?
>
> ie if we're still on bacula 2.X on the master can be backup a bacula 5.X
> client?

As far I can tell nothing between 2.x is compatible with 5.x .. just
too much has gone on between the two releases. So part of the project
is going to be:

1) How much history do we need? How do we keep it?
2) Do we need new hardware? How much will that be?

etc.

> -sv

Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren