RFR sponsor for Upstream Release Monitoring wanted

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 19:30:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 07:24:20PM +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask if someone would sponsor me to host Upstream Release
> Monitoring[0] on a Infrastructure machine.
>
> To host this, an account with cron and unrestricted internet access
> would be needed and some python packages. The accound would need to
> store a plain text Red Hat bugzilla password with fedorabugs privileges,
> therefore everyone with root access to that box (or the host of the
> virtual machine, if it is one) should be allowed to know it and have at
> least the same bugzilla privileges. I would prefer some Fedora or at
> least a RHEL 6 machine to have some more up to date python available.
>
> If anyone would sponsor this request, I will write up a formal Request
> For Resources[1].
>
> Regards
> Till
>
> [0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upstream_Release_Monitoring
> [1] RequestForResources

Hi Till, I'll be happy to sponsor you and show you around the infrastructure
hosts.  I'm on #fedora-admin anytime you want to ask questions and get
started.  (Note that there's a holiday in the United States next week so
I might not be available the whole week).

For Upstream Release Monitoring, which you've been prototyping successfully
on your own, we probably want to have it run on bapp01 in our infrastructure
and put the configuration into puppet (where we can use templates to keep
the password in a separate repository from the rest of the config)
eventually.  Currently, that's running RHEL5.5, though.  One possibility is
to pull in the python2.6 package from EPEL onto that box but I don't know if
you are using a lot of third party modules (in which case, it might be
easier to port the code to run on python-2.4 than it is to port away from
the modules that do not have python26 packages.)

We'll also update all the app servers to RHEL6 at some point but that will
require a lot of testing to be sure that everything still runs (mediawiki,
transifex, and all of our home-grown TurboGears apps) so we don't have
a definite timeline yet.

A formal RfR will be good so that we can know who to contact should it go
down and could possibly provide some hints as to who can take over should
something happen to you.  Put me down as the Infrastructure Sponsor and then
contact me so we can tlak about getting you the necessary privileges to do
the work.

-Toshio