Introduction

Frazer, Cody R crfrazer at mckendree.edu
Thu Apr 21 15:04:05 UTC 2011

Hello,

My name is Cody Frazer and I'm interested
in helping with the Fedora Project. I'm most
interested in doing system administration and
the like. I live near St. Louis, Missouri (CST).

I have one year of college towards a B.S. in
Computational Physics and Computer Science
where I worked in C++, Visual Basic, PHP, MySQL
and Perl. This past year, I've worked as a full-time
web developer at Concordia Publishing House, where
I work mostly in Ruby on Rails. We have a small team
so we have to manage our servers and do our own
database, systems, and network administration.

I'm an avid Vim user and I enjoy streamlining my
configuration for maximum productivity. I really
enjoy writing scripts in bash and ruby do normal
filesystem activities (doing advanced/specific
large-scale file movement/finding/changing). I
also have a sort of file system OCD. I'm very
particular about what gets added to my system.
I love making sure that every tool and development
method I use is keeping my system in pristine
condition. I love making sure that changes are
modular, unobtrusive, and easily controllable/removable.
My favorite language for sys. admin. is ruby.

I'm willing and excited to learn anything necessary.
One of my favorite things is learning new things and
improving my toolkit.

Here's a list of skills that I possess:
C: familiar/basic
C++: basic
Perl: basic
Python: basic
Lisp: basic
Visual Basic: basic
Ruby: intermediate
Rails: intermediate
Fedora: basic-intermediate
Bash: intermediate
Apache: basic
Java: basic
Linux: basic-intermediate
MySQL: basic-intermediate
TCL: familiar
Tk: familiar-basic
PHP: basic

I want to join Fedora Project for a few reasons:

1) it's a large project and it seems like there's enough
to do that I can do a lot of what I enjoy (sys. admin.)

2) I'm very appreciative of Fedora and Open Source
software, in general. It's given me soo much, so I'd
like to use my skills to give back. I couldn't imagine
being a developer/scientist without Open Source and
Linux.

3) Fedora was my first and remains one of my favorite
Linux distributions. I use it and am invested in helping
to improve/support it.

I really would like to do anything involving system administration.
I love scripting and automating things for developers to
make development streamlined. I'm also very passionate
about having the best tools available. I'm constantly
critically analyzing every tool I use. I think I'd like to do
this on the operating system level - make sure it's running
smooth, not full of junk, and provides the best environment
for development, deployment, or whatever else it is made to do.

Currently, I'm working two jobs for 7 days a week and 60-70 hours.
I'm pretty busy, but I've got great time management skills. I like
maximizing my time so that I'm always learning or working. I
can easily reserve Saturday mornings for work and probably
a few hours for a couple evenings during the week. I can guarantee
4 hours on Saturday at the least. At most, I can guarantee that
and 2 hours Monday - Thursday, and 4 on Friday. So 4 hrs./wk. minimum
and 16 hrs./wk. maximum. I'm thinking that the average I'll be
able/expecting to spend is 10 hrs./wk.

Hope this wasn't too much information or useless babble! :)

Thanks,
Cody