System Naming Schema

Frazer, Cody R crfrazer at mckendree.edu
Thu Apr 28 20:31:48 UTC 2011

Adam,

I've always used this sort of thing too.
The only difference is that I've used them
only in smaller networks. Here's a list of
pros and cons as I see them:

PROS:
- No naming overlap
We won't have to worry about versions or generations. Puppet
and other systems won't get confused.

- Mythical names are awesome
Let's face it, Thor is much cooler than db01. ;)

CONS:
- Schema isn't transparent
This makes it harder for new/outside people to understand.
We may even have to have notes or documentations so we remember
what each server does (or was). The version and role of a server
will be harder to track.

- Names are limited
If we run out of names (and we eventually will) we'll be back to
where we started.

I'm probably just speaking a bunch of rubbish (as I'm not
all that familiar with the environment), but that's just
my first impression. Feel free to tell me to shut up. ;)

-----

I would propose that we do something like this:

db[generation]x[number]
(ex. db0x1)

	or

db[generation]0[number]
(ex. db101)

This way, we can keep track of *roles(by number),
function(by name, e.g. "db"), and version(by generation).

*Roles meaning: db1x1 => primary database server
               db1x2 => secondary db server (or transition server)

Cody