ticket#2673 - nitrate deployment

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Aug 2 17:11:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 13:29:03 -0400
James Laska <jlaska at redhat.com> wrote:

> Packaging of nitrate is progressing.  Libraries bundled within nitrate
> have been identified and submitted as separate package reviews.  While
> the process isn't complete, I'm curious if we can pipeline a bit.  Is
> it possible to setup a publictest instance while packaging
> progresses?  The intent for this instance wouldn't be for production
> use ... more to allow us to explore use cases for Fedora and to
> identify any other nitrate features/changes.

Well, possibly, but you may well have to redo things as the packaging
changes, so it might be more work than it's worth in the end. ;)

> While I still think we should wait until all packaging work is
> completed before officially deploying and supporting an instance, I'm
> hoping to avoid waiting for packaging work to complete, deploying a
> test instace, then discovering some other use-case (or upstream
> functionality) roadblock.
>
> Any thoughts/concerns with this idea?

Well, the other side of the coin is that you install now, get it all
working, then have to just re-install and get it working again when the
packaging is done. Of course there might not be too many changes from
the packaging side that require redoing things. I'm not sure where the
packaging is sitting at this point.

So, I would say:

* How far out does the packaging look? Is it getting close? or still
  much to do?

* How close is whatever you would install today to what the final
  packaging will be? Just the same thing but split out into seperate
  packages?