Hosted plans

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Aug 10 15:15:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 14:32:25 -0400
Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

...snip...

> So I'm proposing the following options:
>
> 1) Move our existing ReviewBoard instance to one of the app servers.
> This will significantly improve the performance and responsiveness,
> but we'll still have no email notification support (due to
> as-yet-unknown negative interaction with FAS integration)

Yeah, that doesn't seem ideal. ;(

> 2) Move ReviewBoard to an app server and drop integration with FAS and
> allow standard enrollment for users, be they Fedora users or not. This
> will solve the performance and email issues, but results in a server
> running on Fedora systems that is not using Fedora accounts. Also I'm
> not sure we can maintain the existing review histories for the few
> projects currently using the system.

Ditto.

> 3) Turn ReviewBoard into a turnkey OpenShift virtual instance and
> allow any Fedora Hosted project to spin one up. This instance would
> use standard enrollment (rather than FAS integration, which is
> impossible outside the Infra firewall). Each project could have its
> own complete instance to maintain on its own. Upsides: less work for
> Fedora Admins, support for email and better performance. Downsides: no
> centrally-managed user accounts and projects need to do more of the
> maintaining of the system themselves.

This is pretty interesting... I assume after following the steps they
would have a persistent instance they could use moving forward. It
doesn't need anything special to talk to their project on hosted?
Does it end up costing the end project anything? ;)

What happens if someone sets up an instance and then disappears?
Does the project have any way to deal with that? Or just make a new one?

Would someone be interested in trying this out and seeing how well it
actually works? Is there a project or two that are really wanting to
use reviewboard that we could ask?

> I'm all ears for a fourth (or fifth...) option.

Well, there's https://www.rbcommons.com/plans/ but thats a cost/month.
(Which might be worth it for some projects).