Hosted plans

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Aug 18 15:41:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:24:12 -0400
seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> We talked a bit about this yesterday and I wanted to write it up here:
>
> 1. move the mailman instance over to collab1 and have them share an
> infrastructure - mailman is not (usually) easy to spread to lots of
> servers in a very clean way and it is not (usually) the source of a
> massive load (the archiver not withstanding)

Yeah, I think this will be a win... althought it means more eggs in one
basket. ;)

> 2. I think we should seriously consider building things for hosted 2.0
> such that slices are possible:
>
>  you still go to fedorahosted.org/projectname
>
>  but it redirects you to project-##.fedorahosted.org - based on the
>  first 2 letters of the name of your project or what not.
>
>  for commits you have to commit to:
>  git-##.fedorahosted.org (for example)
>  or svn-##.fedorahosted.org
>
>  it would allow us to expand out horizontally as things get busier.
>
>  It would require a config change and/or a flag day for our users
> but it's not the end of the world now.
>  Advantages:
>    a. this keeps all of our eggs out of one basket
>    b. it means replicating the infrastructure is important,
> repeatedly :)
>
>  it seems like an obvious course of action that scales well for what
> we need.

> Actually - on further thought just making it work for:
>
> git-$projectname.fedorahosted.org (for example)
>
> should work just fine and be no more effort - just an CNAME on the
> backend
>
> Easier to document, too

Sounds reasonable. We can setup the new hosted machines to use this,
and when we move over everything we convert them?

> 3. Think HARD about limiting support for additional services on
> hosted.

Sure, I think we should use the same methods for any request for
resource. Ie, we need someone able to support it, it's got an upstream,
it's in epel, we have sop's for it, etc.