new hosts plans and thoughts

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Aug 30 16:55:10 UTC 2011

As some of you may have noted, I've been building up some new hosts of
late. I thought I would give an overview here and plans moving forward
and provide a list left to do for those folks in sysadmin-main who wish
to help out. :)

We have 4 old xen boxes that are going out of service at the end of
next month, so we need to get all guests off them before then. Those
are: xen03, xen05, xen09, xen15.

We have new machines: virthost05-10 and bvirthost04

On the rel-eng side:

* I have setup a releng03 to replace releng01 on bvirthost04
* I have setup a releng04 to replace releng02 on bvirthost01
* I have setup a kojipkgs02 to replace kojipkgs02 on bvirthost04

I need to get them finished up and access to the netapp mounts, then we
can look at migrating over to them. Once we migrate, bxen03 will be
empty and can be re-installed as bvirthost05. We might look then at
moving things around a bit to take advantage of bvirthost05.
The only outage here would be kojipkgs, and we could make that pretty
short/fast.

On the staging front:

* We need to make a db02.stg thats rhel6. Soon all our db's will be
  rhel6, and we want staging to match up. I think we should use
  virthost10 for this.

* We need to migrate fas01.stg and pkgs01.stg to virthost10. These are
  already rhel6. I suppose we could re-install them, but migrating
  seems reasonable to me.

* We may want to migrate some or all the stg on virthost13. virthost13
  is now out of warentee. We might not care too much since it's only
  stg there. Thoughts?

On the production front:

* I have made a db01 on virthost04. This will replace db02. I'd like to
  look at doing this wed next week. (2011-09-07). This WILL require an
  outage, since db02 has fas on it along with many other things. Should
  we do this outage in the evening? Other thoughts on time?

* I have made a bastion03 on virthost04. This will replace bastion02.
  We will need to swap IP's for it to work with the external IP in
  phx2. I figure we can do this at the same time as the db outage
  above.

* Machines that still need building/setting up for you sysadmin-main
  folks who want to help out:

- bastion04 to replace bastion01. Should be on a different virthost
  from bastion03.

- proxy08 to replace proxy1 (rhel5).

- value03 and value04 (on different virthosts) to replace value01/02.

- app02 and app04 are on those xen boxes, so we need to move them. We
  can't do RHEL6 yet however. So, we could wait a bit more in hopes of
  being able to rebuild them as RHEL6, or just migrate them, or rebuild
  them as RHEL5.

Once this is all done that leaves us with just xen04 as a xen box in
phx2. We can then look at moving stuff off it and repaving it as
virthost11.