fedorahosted / collab plans and progress

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Dec 5 19:30:31 UTC 2011

Greetings.

Our nice timetable of events for migrating collab01/02 and hosted01 ran
into a monkey wrench the other week when we had to replace our new
hardware again. We've made progress on the new new hardware and here's
where we stand:

* I've installed a hosted02 on serverbeach06. This is a rhel5 clone of
  hosted01. This is mostly just to make sure if anything happens to
  hosted01 we are still able to bring something up quick.

* I've installed a collab03 (sb08) and collab04 (sb09). I've set them
  up with a drdb device for /srv to keep them in sync. The idea is that
  collab03 will be primary and in case anything fails, collab04 will be
  there to bring up quickly.

* I plan to install a hosted03 later today. (rhel6, hosted01
  replacement).

I'd like to get things moved sooner rather than later. Also, we are
starting to push up against the holiday season. So, I am proposing:

2011-12-12 (1 week away): collab move. (collab01 -> collab03)

2011-12-14 (next wed): hosted move. (hosted01 -> hosted03)

Outstanding questions:

1. When do we want to move the lists.fedorahosted.org? on the 12th? the
14th? or some other time entirely? We are going to need to get collab03
able to handle the additional domain and data.

2. On hosted, do we want to still change all projects to use
project.fedorahosted.org ? Or should we perhaps just wait on that
change? We could do that change on a per project opt in basis as we
move them to other instances, possibly with less disruption. On the
other hand, doing it now means we are ready to move things down the
road.

From our testing on hosted03 before we had to rebuild, the rhel5/rhel6
upgrade seemed to go pretty smoothly from all I could tell.

Any other gotchas, ideas, or things we could setup to test?

If no one screams on timing, I will probibly announce the collab move
later today and the hosted move on wed (giving people 1 weeks notice).