fedorahosted / collab plans and progress

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 00:28:03 UTC 2011

On 5 December 2011 12:30, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Our nice timetable of events for migrating collab01/02 and hosted01 ran
> into a monkey wrench the other week when we had to replace our new
> hardware again. We've made progress on the new new hardware and here's
> where we stand:
>
> * I've installed a hosted02 on serverbeach06. This is a rhel5 clone of
>  hosted01. This is mostly just to make sure if anything happens to
>  hosted01 we are still able to bring something up quick.
>
> * I've installed a collab03 (sb08) and collab04 (sb09). I've set them
>  up with a drdb device for /srv to keep them in sync. The idea is that
>  collab03 will be primary and in case anything fails, collab04 will be
>  there to bring up quickly.
>
> * I plan to install a hosted03 later today. (rhel6, hosted01
>  replacement).
>
> I'd like to get things moved sooner rather than later. Also, we are
> starting to push up against the holiday season. So, I am proposing:
>
> 2011-12-12 (1 week away): collab move. (collab01 -> collab03)
>
> 2011-12-14 (next wed): hosted move. (hosted01 -> hosted03)
>
> Outstanding questions:
>
> 1. When do we want to move the lists.fedorahosted.org? on the 12th? the
> 14th? or some other time entirely? We are going to need to get collab03
> able to handle the additional domain and data.
>
> 2. On hosted, do we want to still change all projects to use
> project.fedorahosted.org ? Or should we perhaps just wait on that
> change? We could do that change on a per project opt in basis as we
> move them to other instances, possibly with less disruption. On the
> other hand, doing it now means we are ready to move things down the
> road.
>
> From our testing on hosted03 before we had to rebuild, the rhel5/rhel6
> upgrade seemed to go pretty smoothly from all I could tell.
>
> Any other gotchas, ideas, or things we could setup to test?
>
> If no one screams on timing, I will probibly announce the collab move
> later today and the hosted move on wed (giving people 1 weeks notice).

No screams from me. I would say we start at 10am Mountain (12 Eastern/
1700 UTC). That should make sure that everyone from coast to coast is
awake to work on it.

I think we move the fedorahosted over and then do the great die-off.
Projects that aren't getting updated.. get archived and we concentrate
on what we can make work.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Years ago my mother used to say to me,... Elwood, you must be oh so