Request for resources: Darkserver

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Dec 13 17:05:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 23:04:58 +0530
Kushal Das <kushaldas at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> > Sounds interesting. ;)
> >
> > Do you have any ideas at this point what kind of resources you may
> > require for this? It's just basically a database of links to builds
> > and buildid's right? so I would imagine it's pretty small on disk
> > space and cpu.
> Yes, it is small in disk space and cpu. Only the database will grow.
> Still now my idea is of a box with 2GB RAM and around 40-50GB of disk
> space should do, I am having the idea of keeping the mysql database
> totally in a different space which will be get backed up.

Yeah, the way we have things now, we have a very few database servers
and all our databases are on there. We then cross sync them and back
them all up.

In this case we might look at a seperate database host as this is a
pretty stand alone item that doesn't need a bunch of resources.

> Had a positive chat dgilmore before on a koji plugin of the import
> tool which is a better place to catch all non-scratch builds in
> Fedora. I am working on the koji plugin.

Cool. So, that would run in koji, and add/connect to the db to add
buildids, as builds occur, right?

> > Do you think any of our caching tech would be useful here?
> > (varnish, memcached). Or should the service be mostly stand alone?
> Yes, though the app still now does not have memcached usage directly
> but caching the url content will certainly helpful.
> I never understood what do you mean by "the service be mostly stand
> alone?"

Well, unaffected by other services. Ie, it could keep running if other
things are down, or have downtime scheduled unrelated to other
services. I guess if it's using our proxy setup, it would need to be
tied to them.

> > How many people are working on developing/maintaining this?
> Primary developer is me and Rahul and Jan is helping to maintain it.
> They will also help to maintain the server. The whole project is still
> under 1000 lines of python code :D I am also working to get few
> students to volunteer for various small future RFE(s) fof the same.

ok, sounds good. Shall we look at next steps here?
Or should we wait for the koji plugin to have everything in a row?