Turbogears downgraded on fas servers

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 01:50:11 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 07:52:13PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 17:17 -0700, Jonathan Steffan wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 22:01 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > > EPEL6 is going out of beta soon so on Monday I'll need to decide
> > > whether to revert TG in EPEL6 to TG-1.0.x or work on fixing fas
> > > further.
> >
> > Please don't restrict version upgrades in public repos because of FAS.
> > That is not fair to our downstream. Worse case we can maintain an
> > internal 1.0.x TG until we have all the bugs worked out for 1.1.x.
> >

> It's not just about fas - the issue seems to be that the TG update is
> NOT backward compatible which was the presumption on the pushed update
> AIUI.

Yep.  Most people are moving onto TurboGears-2. So the only reason I want to
have TurboGear-1.x is for compat with apps not yet ported.  Currently both
TG-1.0 and TG-1.1 are supported branches by upstream.  Soon upstream is
going to release TG-1.5.x as well.  TG-1.5.x is definitely not compatible
(it's built on top of cherrypy3 instead of cherrypy2) but upstream told me
(and in their release announcements, etc) that TG-1.1 was going to be
compatible with TG-1.0.x.  Sadly, this isn't the case.

> Toshio, do we have any other info about upgrade issues from other apps,
> not just fas?

We've run pkgdb against TG-1.1.1 successfully but haven't done exhaustive
testing.  We've also run bodhi against it and tried it's unittests.  It
failed some of them but those were all traced to incompatibilities in
TG-1.1's testing framework rather than incompatibilities in the framework
itself.

So, I'm divided.  I wanted to get TG-1.1.x into EPEL6 since upstream TG will
eventually get tired of supporting TG-1.0.x but the incompatibilities
undermine the primary reason to have a TG1 package in the first place.  We
also don't have any assurances that upstream will maintain TG-1.1.x longer
than TG-1.0.x rather than deprecating both in favor of TG-1.5 (or TG-2-only)
at the same time.

-Toshio