Turbogears downgraded on fas servers

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 18:21:27 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 09:43:34AM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 18:50, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> It's not just about fas - the issue seems to be that the TG update is
> >> NOT backward compatible which was the presumption on the pushed update
> >> AIUI.
> >>
> > Yep.  Most people are moving onto TurboGears-2. So the only reason I want to
> > have TurboGear-1.x is for compat with apps not yet ported.  Currently both
> > TG-1.0 and TG-1.1 are supported branches by upstream.  Soon upstream is
> > going to release TG-1.5.x as well.  TG-1.5.x is definitely not compatible
> > (it's built on top of cherrypy3 instead of cherrypy2) but upstream told me
> > (and in their release announcements, etc) that TG-1.1 was going to be
> > compatible with TG-1.0.x.  Sadly, this isn't the case.
> >

> So how much of infrastructure is still using TG-1.0.x and how much
> work will it be to move to TG2 since that may sooner or later be our
> only alternative.

bodhi, mirrormanager, packagedb, elections, fas, smolt -- everything that's
written in TG except fedoracommunity is TG1.

The amount of work I don't know precisely -- I want to port elections to TG2
since that's the simplest app that we run.  After that, mirrormanager is
also simple but it is using SQLObject and kid which we probably want to move
off of when we move to TG2 so the amount of porting work is a lot higher.
lmacken has ported bodhi to TG2 but he hasn't released the new version
(continuing to make releases off of the TG1 tree instead) so I don't know if
the porting is hard or something else is the holdup there.

-Toshio