Fedora Community

John Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 7 17:34:06 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 21:53 +0000, Luke Macken wrote:
> > Personally, I still use fedoracommunity on a regular basis, and find
> > it
> > to be extremely useful in many ways. Right now we do not have any
> > idea
> > as to how many people are using it. I think we should do some log
> > analysis, and maybe a survey to see what people like/dislike/want.
> > Also,
> > Mo did a usability study at FUDCon many moons ago, and we have yet
> > really sit down and analyze the results.
>
> FWIW:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraCommunity/UsabilityTestingRound1
>
> The analysis I put together is here, but we never sat down and went
> through it and determined the right solution for each:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraCommunity/UsabilityTestingRound1/AnalysisAndTakeaways
>

> > So, in order to remove the 'beta' from fedoracommunity, I would
> > personally like the see the following happen:
> >
> >     * Polish up the interface, and make it *much* snappier.
> >       Right now the interface feels very clunky, and the full page
> >       reloads when clicking on certain areas is killing us. There
> >       is still a lot of low-hanging fruit in terms of optimization.
>
> Need to update to the new 960.gs template too since the old Fedora css
> is going away.
> >
> > Spot, J5 and I will be meeting next Thursday to draft a potential
> > roadmap going forward.
>
> I'd be interested in joining if you wouldn't mind...
>

> ¬m

Sorry, I've been in the mist of geting a major rewrite of PyGObject Introspection through review and purchasing a house so I missed this discussion.  The PyGObject stuff is the reason I haven't had time to work on Fedora Community.  Since python support for GTK+ underlies a lot of our tools this became the priority.  The rewrite should get approval by next week in which case I will have time to start dedicating to finishing off Fedora Community.

In my opinion optimizing should entail focusing on the package views and search which have the most useful information and building out each section as individual web apps which do not require page reloads.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Software Engineer