Request for resources: Ask Fedora

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jul 20 16:02:33 UTC 2011

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 22:14:15 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have just filed the RFR for Ask Fedora at
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/2884

...snip...

> Do let me know your thoughts

Hey Rahul. Looks interesting. ;)

Some things to note:

* This is a Django app. We have had Django apps before in
  infrastructure (transifex, reviewboard) and they have done fine with
  load balancing/etc. I hope this one will too. ;)

* This app looks like it would be pretty self contained. Ie, we could
  have it using it's own database, etc.

Some questions (which may not be known yet, but I thought I would toss
them out there):

* If FAS is unavailable, how does askbot behave? No one can auth? or
  falls back on a local file? or ?

* Do we have any idea how much load/capacity this will take? I guess it
  will depend on how much it takes off and how much people use it. Are
  posts/answers stored in db? Or on the filesystem?

* Will there be any guidelines or the like for content? Should all
  questions be fedora related? Do we want to remove posts that are
  offensive? (Not a technical issue, but thought I would mention it, it
  would be good to have guidelines for moderation before content
  appears to meet people's expectations)

* Are updates of the app pretty transparent? ie, just yum update? or do
  they require database changes?

* Is there any security history for the application? Have their been
  security issues and have they been fixed in a timely manner?

* Is there themeing available? Would we want to involve the design
  folks in making a fedora branded theme for it?

Some issues:

* Currently our app servers are rhel5. We are working to move them to
  rhel6, but it's not clear when that will be done. We could of course
  in the mean time just add this on it's own server(s).