proposal: stop using servergroups in puppet

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 9 15:48:34 UTC 2011

I'd like to propose that we stop using servergroups as a subdir in our
puppet manifests dir.

proposal is just:
 move all .pp files over to 'services' and remove servergroups subdir
entirely.

justification:
 1. the distinction between servergroups and services is..... blurry.
 2. the actual usage difference between them is confused - if only b/c
we have things which could be services in servergroups and servergroups
in services.
 3. the distinction doesn't actually buy us anything we don't get with
just services.

alternative proposal:
 - since services tend to be module-represented in puppet more than in
manifests, we could move to having:

manifests/
          nodes <-- actual node definitions like we have now
          attributes <-- attributes nodes can include (essentially
services but with a less confusing name vis-a-vis our modules/*
services)

Thoughts?

-sv