proposal: stop using servergroups in puppet

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 9 20:56:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 12:05 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> > > alternative proposal:
> >
> > It does help make things clearer and much more "granular" but let's
> > say one host has a minor difference in how the service is configured,
> > we would have to accomodate the tweak somehow either by cloning a
> > service definition and making the new definition specific to the host
> > or by adding in extra modifications using another specification file.
>
> okay? and? We do that now, don't we? How is this different?
>

> really, all I'm suggesting here is moving files around.

okay - I've merged/mv'd the files in puppet master from servergroups to
services and I've modified site.pp to reflect that.

this is ONLY in master/production and it is DONE.

I was starting to do it in staging and I thought "hmm, is now a good
time to go ahead and move staging away from a branch and into
main-line?"

the plan here would be to take all the staging bits and move them into
either separate class definitions and/or subdirs (for the config files)
so that we don't ever have merge/cherrypick issues between the two
branches.

thoughts?
-sv