New RFR -- Zanata instance

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Tue Jun 14 15:54:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:44:54PM +0200, Kévin Raymond wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Dimitris Glezos <glezos at indifex.com> wrote:

>> > *sigh*
>> >
>> > Are there any specific concerns the Fedora translation community has
>> > raised about the existing, proven infrastructure which weren't
>> > addressed? Why do we need to test a new software?
>> >
>> > -d
>> >

>> > --
>> > Dimitris Glezos

> Since we've been paring down unused services in infrastructure recently, I'm
> inclined to wait for a need to arise/the translation community to ask for
> a new service before deploying something new.  While theoretically someone
> in infrastructure could step forward to sponsor a zanata testing instance
> onto publictest boxes, it doesn't seem like a good use of time unless it
> addresses some need within Fedora....
>
> -Toshio

I am inclined to agree with Toshio.
While there's obviously some bumps we ran into in the transition to
using tx.net's infrastructure this past release, I am almost certain
we'd run into issues transitioning to another platform, so I'd really
want to see compelling reasons why tx.net doesn't work.
In addition, getting a new platform up and going takes a lot of time.
For instance, Insight has taken more than a year, and at least the
base package was already in Fedora.