rsyslog/epylog reporting

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 20 17:03:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 12:51 -0400, Luke Macken wrote:
> Excerpts from seth vidal's message of Mon Jun 20 10:31:02 -0400 2011:
> > other ideas?
>
> It would be interesting if we could extract Python tracebacks from our
> mod_wsgi logs. For TG2, we've got WebError middleware, which can email
> us tracebacks, but our TG1 apps have plenty of bugs that go unnoticed
> until someone complains. Another potential solution to this problem
> would be to setup an app-wide catch-all CherryPy filter[0] that we could
> use in all of our TG1 apps.  This would also be a solution for "handling
> FAS outages gracefully"[1].
>
> Also, maybe a mod_security epylog module would be useful as well?

I assume the traceback from mod_wsgi logs are just stored on the *app*
servers locally. If so then we need some way of getting them to a common
place so we can get a single report.

Additionally, if we are pushing things over via rsyslog we can setup a
tool I've used in the past called 'sec' which can trigger events based
on what shows up in the logs.

Instead of waiting for an epylog run it checks the incoming log as it
happens.

-sv