New RFR -- Zanata instance

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Jun 21 00:32:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, noriko wrote:

> hi,
>
> Sorry replying after closing the ticket, I was traveling Japan last two
> weeks and had no internet connection. Now I like you all involved to
> reconsider this RFR.
>
> As Jared pointed, it was clearly agreed to revisit. This offer is great
> opportunity for all translators to test new tool which has potential to
> be hosted at Fedora ground. And as Mike said, the conversation should
> start with translators, so that we will be able to come back. It is best
> to have a test instance within fp.o.
>
> Please notice that this RFR is just asking a test, not a move. As
> someone refer to the need or the cost (people power or $$), without
> testing, translators will not be able to evaluate those whether it is
> worth or not. I like you all to remind that it is not zero cost but it
> does cost running transifex for Fedora at tx.net as well, manpower of
> Infidex.
>
> I have been strong supporter of Transifex, and still am confident that
> Transifex is excellent tool for translators in some projects. However
> there is no reason to deny other tools because it was just
> developed/introduced after Transifex. Most of translators even do not
> notice this discussion. I beg you, please give us a chance and let us
> discuss ourselves before making any decision somewhere we do not know.
> Please do not squash the opportunity for us.

They don't notice the discussion because no one has taken it there.  I'm
not sure why we're even still discussing this here since not a single
email has been sent to http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/ wrt
Zanata.  It's not free for us to just hand over resources that could be
better planned.  So I suggest again, start with the translators.  If
someone on the infrastructure team is willing to sponsor it I'm sure
they'll speak up but it'd be a much better sell if the translation team
actually got together and said "sure, lets take a look"

	-Mike