puppet01 to lockbox01 migration

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jun 21 18:29:45 UTC 2011

Greetings.

I've installed a new instance (lockbox01, which might be an amusing
joke to folks who have been around for a while) to replace out puppet01
instance.

I'd like to look at migrating early next week sometime if possible.

Here's a tenative checklist:

1. Get new machine as ready as possible
        rsync over:
                /home/
                /srv (excluding netapp mount points)
                /git
                /var/www
                /var/lib/puppet
                /var/lib/func
                /var/lib/certmaster
2. add to nagios
3. add to backups
4. Swap IP's with puppet01
5. rsync the data one more time.
6. run puppet against old puppet01 to pick up changes.
7. reboot.
8. test:
        make sure mounts come up.
        make sure it's reachable from the outside.
        make sure machines can see it via puppet
        make sure func can talk to all machines
        make sure infrastructure httpd works.

Can folks think of other places on puppet01 that have data we need to
preserve? Can you think of any other services it provides that we need
to setup on the new machine?

I'm going to try and get 1, 2, 3 done this week. Then monday or tuesday
look at doing the switchover.

Thoughts? questions? ideas?