New RFR -- Zanata instance

noriko noriko at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 22 09:13:43 UTC 2011

Dimitris Glezos さんは書きました:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Kévin Raymond
> <shaiton at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>>> They don't notice the discussion because no one has taken it there.  I'm
>>> not sure why we're even still discussing this here since not a single
>>> email has been sent to http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/ wrt
>>> Zanata.  It's not free for us to just hand over resources that could be
>>> better planned.  So I suggest again, start with the translators.  If
>>> someone on the infrastructure team is willing to sponsor it I'm sure
>>> they'll speak up but it'd be a much better sell if the translation team
>>> actually got together and said "sure, lets take a look"
>> From the translator side, the best would be to introduce the tool
>> (explain workflow/usage differences) before asking them to try it.
>
> I also think we should have good documentation before requesting time
> to try out a tool -- eg. how does it compare with alternative tools
> such as Transifex, Pootle, Damned Lies, especially in the areas that
> are important to Fedora.

Good point, I believe that the project team should have some
documentation. But also it can be said that it is hard to discuss
without seeing. A picture is worth a thousand words.

>> We should not close our mind, but asking the busy infra to work on
>> something that nobody know (from infra as well as translators) is
>> quite heavy.

Yp, thanks for this input! If this is the case I also disagree.
So far, I do not see any manpower requested in this RFR, but I can see
that there is the project team already formed and it asks for only
approval from Infra team on consuming certain resources.

>> The best for now should be to take few translators who will install
>> this in their own hardware and try it for few weeks and come back
>> later.

Personally I understand that it would be difficult for many of
translators to install and test it by themselves. It must be much easier
and straight forward to provide a sandbox to play around. If the project
team can not maintain that sandbox just for a test, it would not be
worth to proceed.

noriko