Naming convention for kickstarts

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 05:19:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 21:11, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 17:13 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> Ok this may seem silly, but after wading through a bunch of kickstarts
>> today trying to find out which ones are for what.. could we
>> standardize on a convention? We have a couple :).
>>
>> I like this one:
>>
>> <host type>-<os>-<os-release>-<special>
>>
>> Examples.
>> kvm-rhel-5-nfs
>> xen-rhel-6-nohd
>> hardware-rhel-5-xenserver
>> hardware-rhel-5-nohd
>>
>> Once we have a convention, I can go and rename stuff to meet it (maybe
>> put the kickstarts under a git tree also?)
>
> under a git, tree, sure - but do not, do not, do not, split the git tree
> into staging/production branches. There's no point in that for the
> kickstarts.
>

> also - unless there is a compelling reason to - why don't we assume that
> all new builds are rhel6 - and therefore kvm?

The compelling reason I see is that it will be about 6-12 months
before we have converted all our el5's to el6's so its probably a good
idea to keep the other naming scheme around til then. [And just in
case EL7 decides to go use oracle btrfs containers.. might as well
just put the name in the front so we don't get confused in 2-3 years
time :).

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren