Naming convention for kickstarts

brett lentz brett.lentz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 16:10:32 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 10:55:46PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 22:23, brett lentz <brett.lentz at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Forgive the question if it's already in place. I haven't checked.
>> >
>> > Are these hand-crafted kickstarts?  If so, why not use Cobbler (which
>> > supports using Git to version control all of its config files
>> > already)?
>> >
>> > I'm a big fan of being able to do 'koan --replace-self' on a system
>> > when it's time to upgrade/reprovision.
>>
>> I am too, but have come to realize there are some things I have to
>> live without :).
>>
>> The main issue about cobbler is that it is way too much kitchen sink
>> with trying to deal with dhcp/bind and other items. [That said, the
>> one I set up at my former job is still running quite well for close to
>> 2 years now without any intervention.]
>
> How about The Foreman?  It integrates with puppet but doesn't try to
> do DNS/DHCP by itself.

Cobbler doesn't require that it manages DNS or DHCP. Those are
optional features, not hard requirements. At $dayjob, we're using
Cobbler without the DNS and DHCP bits turned on. It just manages
kickstarts and yum repos or us.

However, I think the issue of being overkill and/or being another
moving part that there are few resources to maintain are both
legitimate concerns.

---Brett.