Gathering community feedback...

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Mar 9 18:28:13 UTC 2011

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 11:58:33 +0530
sankarshan <foss.mailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 12:33:18PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >> ...snip idea for a website for community feedback...
> >>
> >> Perhaps this would be something good to add to:
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2011
> >> ?
> >>
> >> I don't think infrastructure has resources to build something like
> >> this, but if it was it's own alive project we could look at
> >> resources for hosting an instance.
> >
> > +1 that's a good idea.
>
> Does the infrastructure team agree that they have the
> resources/capacity to host such an instance ? That ACK should be in
> place before putting it on the GSoC idea page.

I don't think there is any way infrastructure could commit to hosting
and updating and managing "something" that isn't even outlined yet. ;)

If someone wished to make an application that does this, I would
suggest the following:

* Make sure it grows an upstream community and is NOT just Fedora
  specific. This could be something other projects use and getting them
  involved could add a lot of manpower.

* To be more Fedora Infrastructure friendly, I would suggest avoiding
  java or ruby and look at python frameworks/solutions.

* Make sure to have at least 2 people who know the code/can update/fix
  things around. If you only have one primary coder, and they aren't
  available the app may be in trouble.

* Offer to help test and setup instances and train infrastructure people
  in how it works and how to manage it.

I do hope some folks will work on something like this... it looks like
it might have a good niche. :)