Gathering community feedback...

brett lentz wakko666 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 21:41:23 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Draciron Smith <draciron at gmail.com> wrote:
> Stephen
>
> Forums are the primary source of feedback/discussion/help for most people.
> Forums are THE main support mechanism for almost all software unless they
> have live phone/IM tech support.  Which of course normally doesn't exist for
> free software such as Fedora. Firefox has an interesting experiment going on
> with IM support and I'm fairly impressed with it so far.   So fedoraforums
> is THE place to get support for most users. .  As for the best answer again
> Fedoraforums on many subjects contains THE best answer to a commonly faced
> problem. The FAQs are updated far more often than even the docs wiki and
> provide more workable solutions in many cases.  Fedoraforums.org deserves
> better treatment from Fedora than it has gotten.

+1 for everything but the last sentence.

Whenever I google around for various issues, fedoraforums.org tends to
rank highly in the search results, often being in the top 3. It is a
very valuable resource.

> There are things about all distros that make you grind your teeth in
> frustration and if they aggravate you enough people generally change distro
> or write their own solution and fairly often that solution gets pulled into
> the upstream if enough people adopt it or at worst become commonly used.
> Fedora lacks any facility to send upstream feedback. Lacks any feedback
> mechanism at all.  It is true Microsoft has managed to repeatedly incur the
> wrath of it's user base and survived, at least for now. As more people
> discover Linux and the popularity of Mac's smaller devices replaces PCs for
> many people the age of Microsoft may well be nearing an end.  Microsoft is
> the exception not the role model for how to do business. Even Microsoft if a
> high enough percentage of it's user base screams will eventually hear and
> change what it's doing. Fedora is completely deaf to user feedback.

-1, disagree.

Feedback mechanisms exist, there is room for improvement, but they do exist.

> No this is not the correct place to discuss this, the problem is there IS NO
> good place to put comments like this. NO POSSIBLE WAY TO GIVE FEEDBACK TO
> THE FEDORA PROJECT. That IS THE PROBLEM.   Fedora has no interest in it or
> Infrastructure would be the group tasked with the interface for the
> feedback.  The actual feedback itself would be sent upstream for filtering
> and consideration.

You're giving feedback to members of the fedora project right now.

We are all members, yourself included. Fedora is not a "them", it's an "us".

> I've raised this topic in forums and  other formats and I am FAR from alone
> in my feelings on this. I speak for many when I say these things.

There's a lot of frustration going around these days. I empathize and
understand it, probably more than I can adequately express.

However, I only see identification of problems here. Do you have any
thoughts on solutions to these problems?

Is the issue simply a perception that feedback mechanisms don't exist,
or is it that users are not finding the appropriate "How to
contribute" wiki pages, or is it that those wiki pages need additional
detail or clarification? Is there a miscommunication on where to
channel specific types of feedback so that the appropriate *IGs are
involved? Is the issue something else entirely? Do you have some free
time to help gather information and distill it down into something
presentable to the board or any other groups that can help improve the
situation? (I'm assuming the board is the appropriate audience for
that information, feel free to correct me.)

---Brett.